26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Scutellinia with large spores
David Kelly, 17-05-2013 12:24
Hello.

I found a small group of Scutellinia on wet mud/soil in Hampshire, UK.

They were orange/red up tp 3mm diameter with short (under 500 microns) hairs covering the outside. The hairs were deeply rooted with 4 to 6 septa, dark and fairly equal in length.

The spores in the asci measured 27 X 13.5 (QE 2) and appeared to be lightly ornamented. It is difficcult to decide if it is warts or ridges or both.

I am waiting to see if I can get some ejected spores but here are the pictures.

I know that Scutellinia are hard to pin down but there don't seem to be many with such large spores.

Many thanks

David

• message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
  • message #23492
François Valade, 17-05-2013 14:26
François Valade
Re : Scutellinia with large spores
Hi David
I have not my documents with me, but I think you should consider Scutellinia cejpii, well illustrated on ascofrance http://www.ascofrance.fr/search_recolte/1879
shape and size of spores remind me this species.
regards
Francois
David Kelly, 17-05-2013 17:20
Many thanks Francois.

Is S. macrospora  possible as well? I don't have much literature on Scutellinia but on MycoKey   the spore size is a little long for S.cejpii but in range for S. macrospora and the ornamentation looks similar. 

Regards

David
François Valade, 17-05-2013 17:31
François Valade
yes it is a possibilty. With Schumacher's key you can separate them using the width of the hairs
http://www.ascofrance.fr/search_recolte/2973?
David Kelly, 17-05-2013 21:59
I measured 20 hairs at the widest point (16) 20.7 - 28.7 (30.2) . I don't have  Schumacher's key.

I remembered S. macrospora was covered in the paper "New and noteworthy records of Pezizomycetes in Sweden and the Nordic countries" Ibai Olariaga and Karen Hansen.

It does look very similar but there is no mention of hair width in that paper.

Regards

David

• message #23510
  • message #23510
Beñat Jeannerot, 18-05-2013 07:29
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio David,
Adio François,

In my opinion (and I'm agree with François in his first idea), this collection represents certainly S. cejpii. But it's not sure because we can't see sporal ornementation.

Some questions :
- Habitat : Is it on soil, on wood, in coniferous forest, in slow mountain area, acid soil... ?
- Hairs : Are walls of receptacular and marginal hairs different ?
- Have you seen some asymetric spores ?

I put you two articles of mine, one on S. cejpii and one on S. macrospora. You can compare some details on hairs and form of spores. But, if it's possible, it will be better if you can obtain a sporogram.

Beñat

PS : If it's possible, you can send me one apothecia and, perhaps, I will try to obtain identification.

David Kelly, 18-05-2013 10:41
Many thanks Beñat.

It was found in what I would call acid, wet, rich soil under a small group of Pinus, at low altitude. That does fit with the habitat you have described for Scutellinia cejpii.  I am attempting a sporogram and have dried some samples. Could you e-mail me your address to send a specimen. I will look at the hairs again and pay attention to the marginal hair roots. I don't think I saw asymetric spores.

I have to go away for three days. Hopefully there will be spores when I return.

Regards

David
Beñat Jeannerot, 18-05-2013 10:55
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio David,

Thanks in advance. I have sended you my address by mail.

In fact, your habitat fits very well with my hypothesis on S. cejpii biotope : acid soil under coniferous trees.
I hope we can verify all of this with this collection,

All the best,
Beñat
David Kelly, 20-05-2013 20:48
Hello,

I have sent an apothecia to  Beñat.  I found only 2 spores (ejected) but hopefully it is enough. 28 x 13.5 microns.

I looked at the marginal hairs and some of them had tri-furcate roots and were slightly wider than the rest but none had thick walls  . Interestingly I found two hairs that were "forked" in to two branches.

The ornamentation on the spores seems to be about 0.5 - 0.8 microns deep.

Here are some photos.

David
  • message #23551
  • message #23551
  • message #23551
  • message #23551
  • message #23551
David Kelly, 31-05-2013 17:23
I have sent some to Beñat but they took too long to get to him so were not in good condition. I have had a look again and the marginal hairs do have tangled multi-furcate roots. I think it all confirms Scutellini cejpii as Francois and Beñat suggested.

Here is a composite of naturally ejected spores in Cotton Blue stain.

• message #23731
  • message #23731
Beñat Jeannerot, 01-06-2013 06:50
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio David,

The second box is arrived in good state but I'm sorry, I have forgot to inform you. In fact, I'm really busy at this moment because this is period of exams for my students.
I have treated them yesterday evening and that reveals a very interesting species :
Scutellinia mirabilis.

Hairs are typical and all of the spores characteristics correspond perfectly (sporal ornementation, perispore loosening in CB heated at boiling point, sizes...)

It's very interesting and if the location is near to your house, I will be very glad if you can collect and send me more fresh apothecia for my study of this genus (I need more collections to make different treatments and more investigations, SEM, DNA...).

Around this species, you have the very interesting article by our colleague René here : http://www.ascomycete.org/portals/0/volumes/AscomyceteOrg%2002-01%2025-31.pdf

This rare species is known from your country (see Yao & Spooner) but I'm not sure because I have revised herbaria and the known collections don't correspond.

I put some photos of spores here.

Sorry again for the delay of response,
Sincerely,
Beñat
  • message #23738
  • message #23738
  • message #23738
  • message #23738
David Kelly, 01-06-2013 18:05
Thank you Beñat.

That is very interesting.

I have  gathered a little more for you. It is in a box with moss. Is the box OK in the fridge (3 degrees) until Monday or should it be open to the air at room temperature?

Regards

David
Beñat Jeannerot, 02-06-2013 06:21
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio David,

Thanks and see your mail box.

Beñat