26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Unknown Stictidaceae sp.
Joey JTan, 24-07-2014 21:23
I collected this specimen from a dead lower branch on a mature red spruce (Picea rubens).  I assumed it was a Stictis sp. but a quick look under the microscope proved otherwise. 

The apothecia are about 1 mm in diameter and immersed in the host tissue.  They erupt from the bark and have a stellate appearance; the hymenium looks granular/powdery with a hand lens.

The subhymenium is colourless and appears to be emerging directly from the host tissue.  The hymenium is full of crystals and paraphyses are filiform, often branched, and look knobby/swollen at the apices.  Asci are cylindrical, somewhat thick-walled, J- (Melzer's), and I could not see a defined apical apparatus.  The ascospores are broadly epllipsoidal, avg. 25 x 10 um. 

I apologize for the image quality, I have lots of specimens to go through and very little time! 

Thank you very much,

- Joey
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
  • message #30448
Chris Yeates, 24-07-2014 21:39
Chris Yeates
Re : Unknown Stictidaceae sp.
Hi
surely not Stictidaceae, the spores and particularly the ascus apex are inconsistent with that family. Image quality is pretty good ;)
regards
Chris
Joey JTan, 24-07-2014 21:45
Yes, not a Stictidaceae sp.  I was thinking it may have been treated as such in the old literature (e.g.: Stictophacidium sensu Sherwood).

Thanks
Hans-Otto Baral, 24-07-2014 21:47
Hans-Otto Baral
Were the spores with two large guttules when alive? Is the spore photo on water?
My guess is a Propolis. Asco should be negative also with Lugol (Melzer is not good, gives also often negative reaction in Stictidaceae).

But I wonder about the crystals, maybe very small ones among the paraphysis tips?

Joey JTan, 24-07-2014 21:53
The spore photos were done in water.  I do not have an image of it, but I did see some immature spores in an ascus with two large polar guttules.

Propolis is probably the best place to start, thank you.
  • message #30452
Joey JTan, 24-07-2014 22:08
Hans,

I made another cross section mounted in water and noticed many (living) spores with larger aggregated guttules than those in my first picture, however I did not see any with two large guttules.

The crystals are quite interesting.  They appear to be rather uniformly distributed throughout the hymenium and I have not seen them associated with the tips of the paraphyses.
Hans-Otto Baral, 24-07-2014 22:13
Hans-Otto Baral
In your fifth picture I think I see this mass of crystals. But is it that they disappear in melzer? Or why are they not shown on the closeups? Are they really crystals, because there exists also oleaginous substances that are interspersed in the hymenium in some taxa.

If the spores are multiguttulate  then this is a good charcater because in Propolis only a few have it. But I know only such with broadly ellipsoid spores, e.g. P. leonis.
Joey JTan, 24-07-2014 22:39
I am not entirely sure if they are crystals or a refractive oleaginous substance as you mention.  When Melzer's was added to a mount made in water, the "crystals" disappeared.

P. leonis has been found on Picea, so it may be a good place to start.  Thank you very much.
Hans-Otto Baral, 24-07-2014 23:00
Hans-Otto Baral
Oxalate Crystals resist in all current mountanst such as MLZ or KOH. 

Maybe all Propolis have such substance. In what I named P. rhodoleuca I also saw only small drops.

But what I take as P. versicolor may also occur with rather small drops (microphoto attached)
  • message #30459
  • message #30459