18-05-2024 10:47

Anna Klos

Goodmorning,We found this tiny ascomycete (max. 1m

10-05-2024 17:40

Anna Klos

Good afternoon, Thursday during an inventory we f

17-05-2024 15:17

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, Un besoin d'aide pour ce Podospora (...?

17-05-2024 16:25

Pavel Jiracek

Erioscyphella lunata, found on a fallen needle of

29-01-2022 21:44

Jan Eckstein

Good evening, apothecia small, yellowish, 150-300

16-05-2024 11:19

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour, j'ai récolté sur une branchette de feui

14-05-2024 09:19

Hans-Otto Baral Hans-Otto Baral

Hi, I want to announce for next Sunday 17.00 middl

16-05-2024 11:49

Castillo Joseba Castillo Joseba

De ayer en rama de abetoNo se por donde mirarA ver

14-05-2024 09:50

Yannick Mourgues Yannick Mourgues

Hi. Found on decorticated wod of Populus cf. alba

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Microglossum (?) from Tasmania
Matthias Theiss, 24-07-2015 17:04
Hello,

I'd like to show a Microglossum-like ascomycete I found in a temperate rainforest in Tasmania in April, this year, growing between mosses on buried wood. The fruitbodies measured 6-8 cm in height and 2-3 mm in diameter, olive coulored with a reddish-brown tip. Spores curved, 6-8 x 1-1,5µm, very slender. 
Does anyone have ever seen something like this in Australia or New Zealand? Any kind of help is welcome.
  • message #37089
Lepista Zacarias, 24-07-2015 17:18
Re : Microglossum (?) from Tasmania
Hello Mathias,
With that appearance and the spores you described certainly it is not a Microglossum. It is something else, like Macrotyphula or relatives.
Thomas Læssøe, 24-07-2015 18:07
it would be nice to establish how the spores are formed: inside asci or on basidia - before we jump to conclusions :-)
Till Lohmeyer, 24-07-2015 20:16
Good evening, ladies an gentlemen - 

it's an ascomycete, for sure - Matthias wrote so expressis verbis and did not send his message to Basidiofrance ... ;-)

The spores remind of Thumenidium (Geoglossum) berteroi, a wood inhabiting species of the southern hemisphere. Spooner (1987) examined material from Tasmania, with spores measuring 6-10 x 0,9-1,3um, "usually curved, sometimes allantoid, hyaline". What doesn't fit is the coulour which Spooner described as "vinaceous or purple-brown, drying blackish", perhaps following Gamundi who described the taxon from subantarctic Argentina (and Tasmania). The South American species, however, is more spathulate than the slender specimen on Matthias' photograph. 

Best regards
Till

Lepista Zacarias, 24-07-2015 20:50
Hi everyone,
In spite of the criticism underlying the previous messages and don't fill guilty of anything. I gave my opinion to someone that explicitely asked for it and I'm not responsible for the omission of important details by the one that has them. Since, on the other hand, I'm very much interested in Microglossum and similar, I would like, if possible, to see the microscopy of this specimen.
Sincerely,
zaca
Till Lohmeyer, 24-07-2015 21:28
Dear Zaca, 

sorry, I didn't mean to offend you - I just repeated what Matthias wrote. Perhaps I should add that I know Matthias personally; he has published some nice articles on Asco- and Basidiomycetes in Mycologia Bavarica and definitely knows the difference. I agree with you that it would be interesting to see photographs of the micros.

All the best
Till

Lepista Zacarias, 24-07-2015 21:59
No problem, Till!
Let's hope we can see photos from the microscopy of this interesting specimen.
Sincerely, 
zaca
Matthias Theiss, 25-07-2015 11:35
Thank you Till for your reply. Genevieve Gates from Hobart University, Tasmania, asked Peter Johnston from New Zealand for his opinion. He also suggested Thuemenidium berteroi or Mitrula vinosa but, as you said, the colour of the fruitbodies does not match very well.
Unfortunately, I have no microscopic photos available yet as microscopy was performed by Genevieve. I will ask her to take photos and post them on this forum later, if possible.

Matthias
Matthias Theiss, 26-07-2015 12:07
Here comes two photos of asci (x500) and spores (x1250) of the above-mentioned specimen. Both microscopical photos are copyrigth to Dr. Genevieve Gates, Hobart, Tasmania. I look forward to your ideas and to an extended discussion. Thank you - merci beaucoup
Matthias
  • message #37108
  • message #37108
Lepista Zacarias, 26-07-2015 12:41
Hi Matthias,
It seems that I was completely wrong in the initial appreciation of this specimen in face of its photo. The subsequent comments and the photos of the microscopy, which are not very clear to me, indicate that it is, in fact, an ascomycete. Moreover, with the information supplied by the previous messages, now we know that you gave the specimen to analysis to people that know much more on the subject than you can expect to hear from me. I hope you will succeed to go to the end of research that probably will end up with something new, due to the special morphology of the specimen.
Best wishes,
zaca