Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

21-04-2024 14:29

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Brunnipila: Distinct macro and habitat,

19-04-2024 14:28

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Cudoniella tenuispora: Distinctive macro and habit

20-04-2024 16:02

Michel Hairaud Michel Hairaud

Bonjour,On me fait part, pour diffusion d une list

20-04-2024 09:56

Josep Torres Josep Torres

Hello.A few apothecia collected on Sunday, April 7

19-04-2024 18:32

Anna Klos

Good evening,I found this Ascobolus on wet soil an

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Scutellinia sp. on Abies
Gernot Friebes, 15-08-2018 15:45
Hi,

we collected this Scutellinia a few days ago on a log of Abies alba. A few key features: hairs long (partly > 1000 µm), base multifurcate; ascospores 18.8–19.9 x 11.6–12.1 µm (excluding ornamentation), surface with very irregular ornamentation, individual warts up to 3 µm wide, apparently not loosening when heated.

Thanks for your help and best wishes,
Gernot
  • message #54419
  • message #54419
  • message #54419
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 15-08-2018 17:36
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Re : Scutellinia sp. on Abies
Gernot,
The spore shape and ornamentation, combined with the ecology, go to S. cejpii.
Gernot Friebes, 15-08-2018 17:46
Thank you, I agree that the spores look similar but I think they are too short for S. cejpii. I also never saw S. cejpii with such long hairs...

Best wishes,
Gernot
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 15-08-2018 18:15
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Indeed, after my collections data, marginal hairs can reach 620 µm in length, and ascospores are larger. No othet idea.
Till Lohmeyer, 15-08-2018 20:48
Hi, Gernot et al ...

The key of Kullman (1982) leads to Scutellinia scutellata var. macrosculpturata Kullman & Raitviir. It has long hairs, grows on wood and is "widespread" in what used to be the Soviet Union. The ornamentation of the spores is very coarsely verrucose, with confluent warts forming here an there an incomplete reticulum - I couldn't see that in your photographs, Gernot, but I won't exclude it either. Schumacher has placed the taxon into synonymy with S. colensoi, but using his key, the way is less straight than with Kullman.

Regards
Till 

Gernot Friebes, 15-08-2018 21:34
Hi, Till,

thank you for this valuable suggestion. I think the spores of my collection are somewhere between Schumacher's and Kullman's drawings: the ornamentation is a bit more dense and coarse than illustrated in the former (which is why I hadn't considered this species at first), and not quite as pseudo-reticulate as shown in the latter, although I do see some parts on my spores that could be interpreted as such. Overall it seems to me that for now Scutellinia colensoi/Scutellinia scutellata var. macrosculpturata are good working names for this collection.

Best wishes,
Gernot
Viktorie Halasu, 15-08-2018 22:51
Viktorie Halasu
Dear Gernot,

good SEM illustrations of both colensoi and its extraeuropean relative, S. badioberbis, are also in Choi et al (2013): Scutellinia (Pezizales) in Korea, with a new species and eight new records. Nova Hedwigia 95(3-4): 457-476. I didn't see this species personally yet but according to Schumacher (1990), czech collections listed as badioberbis by Svrcek are most probably S. colensoi. Glejdura (2016) listed several collections from Slovakia where it seems to prefer similar old forests as S. pennsylvanica.

As for S. scutellata var. macrosculpturata, B. Kullman accepted the synonymy of her variety with S. colensoi in her more recent work: Bogacheva AV, Kullman B (2006): ???? ???? Scutellinia (Cooke) Lambotte (Pyronemataceae, Pezizales) ? ?????? [Species of the genus Scutellinia (Pyronemataceae, Pezizales) in Russia]. Mikologia i fitopatologia 40(3): 190-201. (only descriptions, without illustrations)

Best wishes,
Viktorie

Ok, I'll stick to unaccented ascii letters. Got it. (sigh)
Gernot Friebes, 15-08-2018 23:25
Dear Viktorie,

thanks for this additional information. The present collection was also found in an old-growth Fagus/Abies forest. I would be interested in Glejdura (2016), do you have that as a PDF?

Best wishes,
Gernot
Viktorie Halasu, 16-08-2018 00:55
Viktorie Halasu
I'll send it to you, but it's in Slovak with very brief English annotation, unfortunately. Aside from the ecological study (pH, soil moisture, substrate + habitat preferences etc), distributional data and first records for the country there are some taxonomically interesting results too:

- S. peloponnesiaca he believes to be a good species, different from S. patagonica. Description based on 7 collections (from 3 localities): apothecia 0,5-3 mm diam. Marginal hairs 80-130(250) um long with simple to bifurcate base, lateral hairs differentiated only a little. Asci often with 4 developed and 4 abortive spores. Spores broadly ellipsoid, subglobose, rarely globose, 15-21,7 × 15-19,5 um. Ornamentation: unevenly distributed warts/tubercles, sometimes clustered to short irregular lines or small rings, 0,4-2,8 um wide and 0,4-1,4 um high. Growing on soil in broadleaved or mixed forests, collected in july and august, all localities are in coline level.

- He studied isotype of S. pseudoumbrarum in BRA and found no significant differences from S. umbrorum except for sightly narrower spores (Q = 1,5-1,58 for pseudoumbrarum vs. Q = 1,33-1,45 for S. umbrorum).

- There's a slovak collection of a scutellinoid fungus with white hymenium, reminding on S. nivea. This collection is according to SG conspecific with the Paratrichophaea chemnitzii Welt nom. prov. and he is convinced that this species + S. nivea would be better accomodated in a new genus.

- S. fujianensis (so far known from type locality in China) was found on 2 localities in Slovakia. Description: Apothecia 2-5 mm diam. Marginal hairs little differentiated, with 1-3furcate base, 130-540 um long. Lateral hairs up to 300 um long, 1-3furcate base. Spores ellipsoid to broadly ellipsoid, 15-18 × 9-11 um. Ornamentation consists of irregular warts, sometimes capitate, isolated, sometimes anastomosed with fine lines, 1,5-2,5 um wide and 2-3,8 um high.

- There are several slovak collections of S. trechispora with constantly bigger spores (20-22 um diam.) yet with standard 8spored asci; possibly new taxon.

Viktorie

Till Lohmeyer, 16-08-2018 09:07
Hi, Viktorie - 

I'd be interested in the Slovak article, too. Years ago I tried to pick up some Czech in order to read Dr Svrceks earlier texts - maybe it still helps ...

Regards

Till
Gernot Friebes, 16-08-2018 10:05
That's very helpful, thank you for sending the literature!

Best wishes,
Gernot