15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Bitunicate, hairy pyreno with muriform spores
Gernot Friebes, 09-03-2010 23:17
Hi,

I were not able to determine this very beautiful species despite it's striking characters. The ascomata are minute, black, more or less soft, hairy and superficial. The spores are (18,5)21-23(25) x 12-13(14) and muriform with a thicker middle septum. The hairs are straight, slightly thick walled, dark brown except for the light brown apex. The asci are bitunicate, 8-spored and inverted clavate. It grew on a dry branch of Quercus, soc. Orbilia coccinella, Acanthostigma minutum.

Could you help me?

Best wishes,

Gernot
  • message #10713
Gernot Friebes, 09-03-2010 23:17
Re:Bitunicate, hairy pyreno with muriform spores
micros (scale = 10 µm)
  • message #10714
Gernot Friebes, 09-03-2010 23:18
micros
  • message #10715
Hans-Otto Baral, 09-03-2010 23:31
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Gernot

I think what you have is a Capronia, and it seems to be conspecific with a species which Guy Marson collected quite frequently on hanging branches. We also could not identify it though it is remarkable and little variable.
  • message #10716
Hans-Otto Baral, 09-03-2010 23:32
Hans-Otto Baral

The spores reminded us for a tortoise, therefore we named it Capronia testudiformis. Of course a provisionary, unpublished name.
  • message #10717
Hans-Otto Baral, 09-03-2010 23:32
Hans-Otto Baral

Try IKI and I am quite sure you will get the hemiamyloid reaction of the gel

Zotto
  • message #10718
Alain GARDIENNET, 10-03-2010 07:14
Alain GARDIENNET
My ideas also round around Dictyotrichiella and so, Capronia, but the spores of Gernot were different of the species that I know. It looks like your testudiformis, really.
Alain
Gernot Friebes, 10-03-2010 15:20
Hi Zotto,

thanks for showing your fungus, however I don't think it fits totally with my fungus. Your fungus seems to have spores with the typical "Dictyotrichiella/Capronia-colour", so a mixture of brown, grey and green. The spores of my fungus, however, are darker and only brown. Furthermore, the spores of my fungus are more muriform because the spores of C. testudiformis have clearly visible transversal septa while in my fungus the spores are transversally septate only in the middle, the rest is very muriform. Also your spores seem to be to small, can you confirm that? Finally, my fungus lacks a hemiamyloid reaction in IKI, in KOH + IKI and in Melzer's.

But still, some similarities are clearly existing.

Best wishes,

Gernot
Hans-Otto Baral, 10-03-2010 16:39
Hans-Otto Baral

Hi Gernot

you seem to be right, but the two fungi are really very similar. The spores in C. testudiformis are more regular and parallel in their cells, in some spores I see they are similar as in yours, and we named the species because the cells go round like on the tortoise carapace.

You are right with the spore colour. I noted mainly olive-grey or green-grey, also grey-brown.
Maybe also the hair colour is more blackbrown in testudiformis.

I looked up my measurements, and they are actually below yours, especially the width:

(12,5-)14-18(-23)/9-11.5 µm

And the absence of an iodine reaction sounds convincing. The hemiamyloid reaction in Capronia is quite frequent though not in every species. It was totally overlooked by the Melzer users, obviously because they did not pretreat with KOH. In this respect Capronia is possibly closely related to Epibryon for which the hemiamyloid reaction is well reported because the genus is more studied by workers coming from lichens.

Zotto
Gernot Friebes, 10-03-2010 22:02
Hi Zotto,

so it will be another indeterminate pyreno with really striking characters. Still your fungus is close to mine and I will keep my eyes open for collections of C. testudiformis. It's still possible that our finds are related, who knows.

Best wishes,

Gernot