26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Next one: Scutellinia erinaceus?
Björn Wergen, 25-10-2011 17:37
Björn WergenHi all,

not far away from the mysterious Octospora finding there was a Scutellinia with 5-10 mm broad fruitbodies and long, dark brown hairs, growing on very wet soil. I will give you a description of it and perhaps somebody can tell me what it can be. With Schumacher's key I came directly to Scutellinia erinaceus, which fits very well to my finding, but I do not have further literature about this specimen.

Fruitbody 5-10 mm, orangered to red, with dark brown hairs. Directly growing on the wet soil. Spores 19,5-22x13,5-15µm, broad ellipsoid, hyalin, with warty ornamentation, warts 1-1,5µm high and 2-3µm broad, often connected with small ridges, with many oil drops, thick walled. Asci with 8 spores, 230-270x20-25µm, short stalked. Paraphyses cylindrical with swollen apices; 2-3µm, tips up to 8-9µm. Hairs 800-1200µm long, thick walled, pointed, some with basal cross connections (see photos!), with 2-3 rooting hyphae, dark redbrown. 

Many thanks again and regards,
kaz
  • message #16512
  • message #16512
  • message #16512
  • message #16512
  • message #16512
  • message #16512
Beñat Jeannerot, 27-10-2011 09:10
Beñat Jeannerot
Re : Next one: Scutellinia erinaceus?
Adio Kaz,

In first, you can exclude definitively S. erinaceus. It's a very rare species, with a very special ornamentation, not like yours.

In fact, this is always the same problem with Schumacher's key at 16. The choice between isolated or coalescent warts with crests or ribs or not is difficult for a lot of species and, in my mind, doesn't correspond with the reality.

For me, your collection corresponds to S. "umbrorum complex". It's a complex I made to put a lot of collections with same ornementation (like yours). Perhaps, Schumacher has synonymized more than necessary around this species, and I suspect two or three species in this complex. Phylogeny and herbarium revisions are on course and I can't help more today. But, all of criteria are corresponding to this complex.
You can exclude S. patagonica and S. subhirtella for a lot of reasons.

Sorry for not proposing a final name but studies are long and I prefer progress step by step.
Cordially,

Beñat

Björn Wergen, 27-10-2011 16:14
Björn Wergen
Hi Benat,

after reading some more literature and especially some Scutellinia sp. on this forum, I also thought about a umbrorum-like specimen, and not S. erinaceus (S. erinaceus should look like S. setosa, with paler orange hymenium and setose hairs). For me, the name Scutellinia umbrorum s.l.  is enough to have a base for further research and to compare with other findings. 

Thank you very much for our opinion :)

regards, kaz
Beñat Jeannerot, 27-10-2011 17:12
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio Kaz,

It's not a problem for me to give my opinion on Scutellinia, it's my personal passion ! :)

But be careful around S. erinaceus. It's not a species like S. setosa. S. setosa is probably not a Scutellinia in fact and the phylogeny confirms this specificity (and perhaps it's the same thing for sinosetosa and setosiopsis). It's necessary to wait the publication on this subject with creation of a new genus and new combinations (by phylogenic workers on this).
Per contra, S. erinaceus is a Scutellinia, really ! (I have seen the typus) but it exists a big misinterpretation in USA. A lot of american mycologists give the name "erinaceus" to typical setosa collections (on internet for example). And it's not good (you can read Schumacher's comments on S. erinaceus description in his monograph of this genus). This comes from a misunderstanding at the outset.

If you are interested by this genus, don't hesitate. You can find my mail on my profile. I'm always glad to share on this subject.

Cordially,

Beñat

Björn Wergen, 27-10-2011 18:12
Björn Wergen
Hi Benat,

that is wonderful, because I am very interested in this genus, as also in any other Pezizales. This year, I have found 6 different Scutellinia, S. setosa was one of them :)

And of course, many thanks for the help, I will send you an email if I have something interesting about the genus.

regards, kaz
Peter Welt, 27-10-2011 18:59
Peter Welt
I have read the Scutellinia is your passion, Beñat.  I am now working on a compilation of all newly described species (after Schumacher 1990). What do you say to Geneaspora? A separate genus or a section of Scutellina (Moravec)

Peter
Beñat Jeannerot, 28-10-2011 08:08
Beñat Jeannerot
Adio Peter,

If you need anything about your compilation, don't hesitate. I have made this work and I try to study all of new species.
In my opinion, species around geneospora are Scutellinia (I'm agree with Moravec) and phylogeny seems to confirm it (it's necessary to wait and have some other results). It represents three species but, personnally, I have just collections of S. geneospora from Asian continent. So, I can't say anything about totaranuensis and laevispora.
Perhaps later, but I'm on others sections now and herbarium revisions is a big work...

Beñat