11-05-2024 10:09

Luc Bailly Luc Bailly

Hello all, Does anyone have access to this? Thyr

07-05-2024 00:04

Ethan Crenson

A friend found these black gelatnous cups on a twi

09-05-2024 18:33

Enrique Rubio Enrique Rubio

Dear friendsDou you have a pdf copy of this paper?

09-05-2024 13:07

Thorben Hülsewig

Hi there,i'm looking for following pdf:Morris, E.F

06-05-2024 10:02

François Bartholomeeusen

Good morning,At the end of an excursion in De Zegg

07-05-2024 19:26

Louis DENY

Bonsoir forum Sur tige de rubus fruticosus de l'a

06-05-2024 08:27

Blasco Rafael Blasco Rafael

Hola Buenos días.Alguno de ustedes tiene disponib

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Another fungus on Alpaca dung, again I need help with the determination
Christiane Baethcke, 30-03-2012 12:19
Christiane BaethckeHallo everybody,
On a new collection of alpaca dung grows a very small ascomycete. This fungus is much smaller than the one of the former collection, but in some way the spores resembles the ones of the former one on alpaca dung. (which is probably Onygenales, Neven is still examining it)
The size of the fungus is about 400µ. It seems, that the spores are in most cases roundish and in a few cases ellipsoid. The paraphyses seem to contain somewhat greenish oil drops. The spores are about 9 µ diameter. On the last photo you can see that the asci are opening with a split. I didn´t see any reaction with Lugol.
I need again help with the determination, since I don´t even know the genus.

Best regards
Christiane

• message #18036
  • message #18036
  • message #18036
  • message #18036
  • message #18036
Neven Matocec, 30-03-2012 12:48
Neven Matocec
Re : Another fungus on Alpaca dung, again I need help with the determination
Hi Christiane,

Please note my post of 19.03. 11:12! Some day earlier than I made this post (when I compared your data with our own material and the literature) I pretty much rejected the thoughts about onygenalean affinity of your first Alpaca dung fungus!

This one is surely another story....it could maybe match Thelebolales, but again, without some tests (Congo red, CRB etc) I cannot be sure. As I don't see any supportive (protecting/bearing the asci) tissues and on account of spore characters (if they are truly mature ones) at least it cannot be congeneric with the first one.

Cheers,
Neven
Christiane Baethcke, 30-03-2012 22:03
Christiane Baethcke
Hallo Neven,
Thank you for your advice with the congo red! You are right, the fungus is still immature. But staining with congo red, it was easy! Ascodesmis microscopia! I never found before, and it is as beautifull as small!
  • message #18038
Neven Matocec, 31-03-2012 00:08
Neven Matocec
Hi Christiane!

Oh! Superb! I'm glad you succeeded both to got your fungus matured and identified. A pezizalean again, ha? Interesting associate to our previous one!

Every time when you just spot something new teleomorphic emerging on dung units in your moist boxes, you should keep observing structures and ascosporogenesis. Only when you see sporulating ascomata or that living asci (in tap water) ejecting spores with no press applied just in front of you watching them through microscope or when you see that masses of spores are present in the prep without any trace of (evanescent) asci - you can be sure you have fully mature fruitbodies/ascal clusters...

In such cases you could often see the whole spectrum of ascospore change (in size, shape, colour, surface structures, guttulation etc..). At the end the finalized spores may strikingly differ from immature ones. However, in some cases when fully mature spores are smooth, thin-walled, hyaline and eguttulate one might differ them from immature ones only through great experience.

Good night,
Neven
Chris Yeates, 01-04-2012 18:57
Chris Yeates
I have often wondered about whether an interesting mycobiota could be associated with the Camellids, they being 'pseudoungulates' and therefore possessing a different digestive system.
Your finds, Christiane, have encouraged me to think about paying a visit to a field with llamas in it not far from where I live . . . .

best wishes

Chris
Christiane Baethcke, 01-04-2012 19:41
Christiane Baethcke
Good luck with the lamadung, Chris. At this moment I have finally the first ripe spores of the Ascodesmis microscopia. 

Best regards
Christiane
  • message #18052