26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Ophiocordyceps ditmarii
Steve Clements, 04-08-2015 15:55
Bonjour,
On a trouvé un Cordyceps la semaine derniere, dans un bois dans le nord d'Angleterre. D'après "Fungi of Switzerland" c'est Cordyceps sphecocephala, mais je ne suis pas certain. Le stem est jaune-orange dans le description, mais le specimen que nous avons trouvé est presque blanc ou crême. En plus, les spores dans le livre sont plus grandes et plus fines.Il y a un autre nom - c'est le même asco? – Ophiocordyceps ditmarii. Pouvez-vous m'aider, s'il vous plâit?
Cordialement,
Steve

Hi,
This Cordyceps, growing singly in acid woodland, altitude about 350 m, on a buried wasp(?) was collected last Wednesday from the Peak District, Northern England. (I though at first it was a small immature mushroom, which I had left to grow). This morning I removed some of the debris from the base and discovered the insect.
Overall colour is whitish cream. Head: 2 mm x 2mm, dotted with yellowish ostioles, from which tendrils of hyaline spores are ejected. Stem is 2.5 cm x 1 mm, sinuous and not enlarged at the base. A collar is immediately below the head, 1 mm long. The asci are sinuous and very long – perhaps 3-400 um long, and about 7 um wide. The apex is swollen, hyaline in Methylene Blue, with a pore 1 mm wide. Oblong, hyaline non-septate spores appear to be numerous (part-spores?) and of varying sizes from 6–10 x 2-2.5 um, some in chains. Within the ascus they are packed in multiple chains. No paraphyses noted.
The description by Breitenbach and Kränzlin (Fungi Of Switzerland, Vol. 1) of Cordyceps sphecocephala is similar except:
1) the stem is described as yellow-orange, darker and narrowed at the base
2) spores are given as 8-14 x 1.5-2
3) asci are given as up to 180x6 (250x8 acc lit).
I note that the FRDBI (Fungal records Database of Britain and Ireland) has most records as Ophiocordyceps ditmarii (as Cordyceps specocephala is not authentically British). Could anyone help me with correctly naming this fungus?
Microscopy in Methylene Blue.
Best regards,
Steve
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
  • message #37269
Christian Lechat, 04-08-2015 18:08
Christian Lechat
Re : Ophiocordyceps ditmarii
Hi Steve,
you can take a look here: http://www.ascofrance.fr/documentation

Regards,
Christian
Steve Clements, 04-08-2015 19:50
Hi Christian,
That's very useful - and formidable!
Had a quick look and I think it might well be...Ophiocordyceps ditmarii,
Many thanks,
Steve
Lothar Krieglsteiner, 04-08-2015 20:09
Lothar Krieglsteiner
Ophiocordyceps ditmarii

Yes, I agree with O. ditmarii. I know C. "sphecocephala" auct. (true C.s. is a foreign species, as far as I remember South-American) from many findings, mostly on wasps - once I counted about 50 carpophores within one larger forest area in Southern Germany within about 2 or 3 hours, mostly only one or sometimes two stromata). In Portugal I found O. ditmarii on another host - no wasp, but I could not find out what exactly).

Regards from Lothar

Christian Lechat, 04-08-2015 21:01
Christian Lechat
Hi to all,
Lothar is right, O. sphecocephala is known only in tropical area (in my opinion)
I have cultured several specimens of Ophiocordyceps from France, occuring on wasp or fly. I obtained the same asexual state and the molecular data indicate that they are the same species.
Best regards,

Christian
Chris Yeates, 04-08-2015 21:28
Chris Yeates
Hi Steve
a friend living in Calderdale (not that far from you) turns this up regularly in the moist cloughs - as here: http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/3603
best wishes
Chris
Steve Clements, 04-08-2015 21:37
Thanks Christian, Lotharr and Chris,
This was quite an exciting find for me this morning - the wasp was concealed and protected in an empty nutshell!
Cheers,
Steve