06-05-2024 08:27

Blasco Rafael Blasco Rafael

Hola Buenos días.Alguno de ustedes tiene disponib

06-05-2024 10:02

François Bartholomeeusen

Good morning,At the end of an excursion in De Zegg

05-05-2024 12:55

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour Peut on dire que les poils soient vitreux?

05-05-2024 09:59

Gernot Friebes

Hello,I failed to identify this anamorph, which gr

19-04-2015 20:20

Enrique Rubio Enrique Rubio

Hi again Could you help me with this paper? NANN

30-04-2024 16:22

François Bartholomeeusen

Dear forum members,On April 25 2024, I found one f

03-05-2024 18:04

Riet van Oosten Riet van Oosten

Hello, Found by Laurens van der Linde on Rubus fr

02-05-2024 20:04

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, Une question à propos de la réaction a

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Cladobotryum with Chaetosphaeria?
Steve Clements, 06-08-2015 18:21
Bonjour,
On a trouvé un Hyphomycete et un Pyrenomycete en habitant ensemble, sur Fagus.
Le Hyphomycete resemble Cladobotryum mycophilum, et le Pyrenomycete resemble Chaetosphaeria inaequalis. Qu'est-ce ce passe?
Cordialement,
Steve

Hi,
As I'm looking at corticioids I took a specimen of this large "crust". Found 29/7/15, Longshaw Estate, Peak District, Northern England, altitude about 300m. It was on the underside of a Fagus log (or at least, on a log by a large felled Fagus) in mixed woodland on acid Carboniferous gritstone.
The "crust" was composed of a Hyphomycete and a Chaetosphaeria type Pyrenomycete. I wondered whether the Hyphomycete was the anamorphic state of the Pyrenomycete. However, I don't think it is.
From Ellis & Ellis the Hyphomycete looks to be close to Cladobotryum – with one-septate hyaline conidia up to 21 x 10 um, on conidiophores (to 500 long by 8 wide, with "head" about 100 um) with phialides, it looks rather like C. mycophilum.
The Pyrenomycete is up tp 0.2mm diameter, single small ostiole, associated with setae (septate, up to 200 long, about 5 wide with slightly swollen ends). The asci do not turn blue in Lugol, and are approx 100 x 5-6. They have an apical ring. Spores are single septate, up to 9x4.5, assymetrical, and appear to splt into two part-spores about 3x4.5 um. After several days some part-spores germinated. Paraphyses are thread-like and difficult to see. If this is a Chaetosphaeria then from Ellis & Ellis and Reblova (SIM 45, 149-168) the closest I get is to C. inaequalis.
As no species of Chaetosphaeria has an anamorph similar to the Hyphomycete present, I wonder if it is parasitsing the Pyrenomycete – although I appreciate that it has only been recorded on larger Basidiomycetes.
Microscopy in Methylene Blue.
Best regards,
Steve
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
  • message #37310
Andrew N. Miller, 06-08-2015 18:28
Andrew N. Miller
Re : Cladobotryum with Chaetosphaeria?
Those are not Chaetosphaeria ascospores.  Look more like some Dothideomycetes ascospores to me.

Andy
Steve Clements, 06-08-2015 22:58
Hi Andy,
Thanks.
Haved just looked on Wikipedia:

Dothideomycetes: 

11 orders 90 families, 1300 genera and over 19,000 known species.

Cheers,
Steve
Andrew N. Miller, 07-08-2015 15:57
Andrew N. Miller
Exactly!  Good luck!  LOL!  There are many species of Dothideos that have ascospores like these.  Someone needs to make a good key to this Class of Fungi.

Andy
Steve Clements, 08-08-2015 12:37
Thanks Andy,
I must admit I am now thoroughly scared off these tiny but very common little black single ostiole flasks with accompanying forests of setae. Would you expect a fairly reasonably informed field mycologist to be able to tackle them? It looks like our "comprehensive" fungi survey of the Longshaw Estate is going to be anything but - in terms of being able to name all our finds even to the correct big group eg Class.....
However, I'lll continue to record anything we find, put the data into computer folders, and keep specimens when possible.
Is there any way of distingishing bitunicate asci apart from getting hold of an expensive microscope – eg specific stains?
Cheers.
Steve
Andrew N. Miller, 08-08-2015 15:58
Andrew N. Miller
I am by no means an expert on the pyrenos or loculos despite looking at thousands of specimens over the years.  One usually picks a group and tries to understand them.  There are over 30,000 species of pyrenos and loculos!  Many of the pathogenic and aquatic loculos have been sequenced, but we know almost nothing about the terrestrial wood-inhabiting loculos.

I often do not see 2 wall layers in the asci of loculos, but one can observe an apical thickening in the asci of many species, which is a clue that it is a loculo.  After awhile, one becomes familiar with the ascospores, which also helps put the species into one of the two groups.  For example, dictyospores are very rare in pyrenos. 

Best,
Andy
Steve Clements, 08-08-2015 23:05
Thanks again Andy,
It's useful to put things into perspective and recognise the limits to one's abilty ... and time, to tackle these fungi. It is also nice to know that we have plenty more fungi to discover and describe, like maybe 95%!
Cheers,
Steve