• Scuttelinia: Macro and habitat.• S. scutella

25-03-2024 20:21

DAVID MARCOS DAVID MARCOS

Bonjour, je m'appelle David et je débute dans l'i

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
An Orbilia from Altay Mts
Eugene Popov, 29-10-2008 17:01
Eugene PopovHello
This unknown for me Orbilia was collected in the Altay Republic (Russia) in August 2008 on weathered wood of Salix sp. Apothecia are typical for the genus, 0.1-0.25 mm in diam. when dry, reddish-orange, translucent, but ascospores are too large for any species I know (11-14(-17.5) x 3.3-4.5 mkm). Form of ascospores vary from cylindrical to clavate or almost obovate, with geniculate basal part. Spore body is more or less lens-shaped. Asci ca. 60-85 x 7.5-8 mkm, 8-spored, with some spores in basal part inversally oriented. Croziers ? Paraphyses not agglutinated, not incrusted, ca. 1.5 mkm in diam., branched, with clavate apical cells ca. 3.5-4.5 mkm broad.
May be somebody has any idea on this species?
  • message #5615
Eugene Popov, 29-10-2008 17:01
Eugene Popov
Ascospores (overmature ascospores becomes 4-celled?)
  • message #5616
Eugene Popov, 29-10-2008 17:02
Eugene Popov
Asci
  • message #5617
Jean-Paul Priou, 29-10-2008 20:33
Jean-Paul Priou
Re:An Orbilia from Altay Mts
I think that Zotto will say Orbilia sectio lenta, the species may be Orbilia lenta.
Wiating for the Zotto answer.
JPP
Eugene Popov, 30-10-2008 16:37
Eugene Popov
ectoexciple
  • message #5634
Hans-Otto Baral, 31-10-2008 23:39
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Eugene

sorry, I overlooked your report. Wonderful! We call this Orbilia lenta. There exist several species with such lens-shaped spores but they are all undescribed except for the 32-spored O. flavida Feltgen. We know O. lenta from sparse records from SE-Europe and N-America (semi-arid areas), NW-Africa, and Central Australia. One from Gobi (Asia) has a bit too short spores. There exist a number of very similar but smaller-spored collections difficult to separate, which we name O. ocellata, and the Gobi collection is intermediate. Apart from Salix we have a lot of desert shrubs as substrate of O. lenta.

Do you have my DVD or how could you describe this fungus so wonderful? Do you have macros also? I suspect you have more Orbilia collections from that region?

I would like to cite your collection in our monograph, could you therefore give me the collection data?

cheers
Zotto
Eugene Popov, 01-11-2008 13:22
Eugene Popov
Hi Zotto,

Thanks a lot for your help!
This species was collected in Kuray steppe (Russia, Altay Republic, distr. Kosh-Agach, valley of Tyute river (50,19 deg. N, 87,90 deg. E, alt. 1530 m), in Larix sibirica forest, 6 VIII 2008, coll. E. S. Popov, LE 247245).
I have not your DVD, but I know your recent publications on orbiliaceous fungi from China. I really have some other collections of Orbilia from Altay and other parts of Russia, but many of them are in need of determination or critical revision.

Eugene
Hans-Otto Baral, 01-11-2008 18:25
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Eugene

thanks for the data.
Did you make your microphotos bvery recently? Then you see that the spores survive at least 3 months in the dry state (when dead the lens-shaped SB would disappear). So please do not wait too long with studying your collections. Sometimes the spores are still alive after 1 year, but that depends on the species. Also organelles in the living paraphyses are important.

If you have interest in the DVD, we can try sending it to you. No costs for you.

Zotto
Eugene Popov, 01-11-2008 18:42
Eugene Popov
This material was studied just two days ago, and I hope that I would be able to study other collection in the nearest future.
I would be very thankful to you for DVD, if it is possible and not too difficult for you to send it (my postal address is 197376 Russia, St Petersburg, Prof. Popov st. 2, Komarov Botanical Institute, Lab. of geography and systematics of Fungi).

Eugene
Hans-Otto Baral, 01-11-2008 22:39
Hans-Otto Baral
I will tell Guy Marson your adress and he will send you. You have a DVD drive as I assume. Do you have Microsoft or Mac? With Mac some had problems to read our DVD.

So you live in your own road? Or the road of your father?

I am very curious on your other collections. If you took these from substrates lying on the moist ground the apos are probably alread dead. But O. lenta is a xerotolerant species as many others,growing on still-attached branches.

Zotto
Eugene Popov, 05-11-2008 14:15
Eugene Popov
Thank you!
I will inform you about other altaic Orbiliae. Almost all of them are from xeric microhabitats, including this O. lenta, wich was really growing on attached dry twig.
P.S. The road in not of mine of course, but named after Alexander Popov, one of the inventors of the radio:)
Hans-Otto Baral, 05-11-2008 20:10
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Eugene

I just nored that you wrote that overmature spores become 4-celled. Do you have a photo of that? I saw 2x that overmature spore get 1-septate in O. lenta.

Zotto
Hans-Otto Baral, 06-11-2008 12:44
Hans-Otto Baral
A further question: Guy Marson (he burnt and sent you the DVD yesterday) asked me to ask you about what equipment (camera and microsope system) you used for making your microphotos.

thanks
zotto
Eugene Popov, 06-11-2008 12:59
Eugene Popov
Hi Zotto
I saw only two 4-celled spores, and I still have some doubt if they were of the same fungus. These spores were a little bit larger than 1-celled and of the same form, but one of them had at basal pole something reminiscent of hilum as if it would be a conidium. Infortunately I have no photo, but it's possible to make a new preparate and to look for.
All microphotos are made with Karl Zeiss AxioImager A1 microscope (DIC, Plan-Neofluar 40/0.7, Plan-Neofluar 100/1.3 OI) and AxioCam MRc5 camera.

Eugene
Eugene Popov, 06-11-2008 15:58
Eugene Popov
Another one Orbilia (Orbiliaster) from Altay
Apothecia cupulate, 0,2-0.8 mm diam., pinkish-orange, translucent, with fringe of short white hairs at the margin (fig. a, b). Excipulum of textura angularis/globulosa. Hairs thickwalled, septate, cylindrical or slightly conical, more or less monilioid, ca. 40 x 6-7 mkm, wall up to 1,5-2 mkm thick (c). Asci clavate, 26,5-33(-37) x 3-3,5 mkm, with rounded or truncated apex and long flexuous, sometimes branched stipe, without croziers(?), 8-spored (e). Paraphyses protruding on 5-8 mkm above the asci (d), lanceolate to slightly hastate, up to 36 mkm long, 2 mkm diam., subapically broadened up to 3,2 mkm, with tapered and incrusted apices (f). Ascospores clavate, 6,5-8 x 1-1,4 mkm, curved in middle or in basal part, with apical ellipsoid spore body (g).
On inner bark (often in ruptures of epiderm) and ?on old stromata of an diaporthaceous(?) fungus on dead Salix twigs.

This seems to be close to Orbiliaster paradoxa Huhtinen, but with shorter asci and distinctly lanceolate paraphyses
  • message #5681
Eugene Popov, 06-11-2008 16:05
Eugene Popov
All my attempts to find again septate spores in O. lenta were unsuccessfull
Hans-Otto Baral, 06-11-2008 17:44
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Eugene

you are right this is clearly Orbiliaster paradoxa. We call this species O. phragmotricha nom. nov. because transfer to Orbilia is blocked by old names (O. paradoxa Ade, O. paradoxa Velen), and the genus Orbiliaster is impossible to keep separate from Orbilia.

You are right with the paraphysis shape: it is usually lanceolate-spathulate in this species. Did you measure the asci towards the very base (including stipe and furca)? Maybe the deviation comes from this. Here is my comment on Huhtinen's taxon in our monograph:

-----------
Based on a single recent Finnish collection, Huhtinen (1992) proposed Orbiliaster paradoxa as a new species. He placed it in the genus Orbiliaster Dennis because of the presence of long and septate hairs with a cyanophilous hair wall coating, and non-inflated paraphyses, similar as in Orbiliaster pilosa. We have not examined the type specimen (TUR 99719) since Huhtinen's detailed description very well concurs with the present concept of O. phragmotricha. Only the paraphyses are described as cylindrical, 2 µm wide (in Huhtinen's drawing a width of 2-2.5 µm can be evaluated) while they are here found to be 2.5-4 µm wide and often distinctly lanceolate to spathulate. Because of the brief and partly incorrect descriptions in Karsten (l.c.) and Nannfeldt (l.c.), Huhtinen overlooked the presence of O. phragmotricha in the Karsten herbarium.
--------------
Usually this species is called Orbilia rubella, but we use that name in a slightly different snese for a species with glassy processes on the septate hairs and larger spores.

If you wish you can send me your fine plate in higher resolution, also the lenta-images.
Zotto
zotto@arcor.de
Hans-Otto Baral, 07-11-2008 19:17
Hans-Otto Baral
Guy further asks whether your camera-microscope system is also able to reproduce colours and in what quality?

Zotto
Eugene Popov, 11-11-2008 12:58
Eugene Popov
Hi Zotto

Thanks for your comments on my second Orbilia. I'm agree that deviation in the length of asci may be because of broken ascus stipes. Asci, surely measured for whole length, all were longer than 30 mkm.
AxioCam MRc5 camera that I use has 5 Mpix matrix and 36 bit RGB color depth, so it do can reproduce colours. There is also software for this microscop-camera system, wich allow to adjust manually exposition time, white balance, gamma etc.
Hans-Otto Baral, 11-11-2008 13:02
Hans-Otto Baral
thanks, Eugene
Zotto