Bonjour, Toute piste sera la bienvenue... ApothÃ

04-06-2024 21:26

Thierry Blondelle Thierry Blondelle

Bonjour,Je vous soumets cette récolte sur faîne

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Echinosphaeria strigosa
Ethan Crenson, 18-04-2020 21:53
Hello all,

Earlier this week a friend found what I think is Echinosphaeria strigosa on a decorticated branch of unknown hardwood in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY.  The fruiting bodies are small, superficial and covered in coarse brown hairs.  Asci are 8-spored, IKI-. and 128-138 x 15µm.  Spores are hyaline to very slightly brown, guttulate, allantoid, bent near the mid-point, (25) 27.5-36 x (4) 5-7.5µm. I did not see any septate spores. Hairs are brown, thick-walled and aseptate.

Based on a discussion from a previous post in this forum (http://www.ascofrance.fr/forum/56585/echinosphaeria-strigosa-ou-echinosphaeria-canescens-sur-crataegus), my collection is probably Echinosphaeria strigosa, based mainly on the spore length (over 30µm).

Thanks.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Ethan
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
  • message #62762
Mirek Gryc, 19-04-2020 10:40
Re : Echinosphaeria strigosa
Hi Ethan
Could you check if the hair dissolves in KOH?
I checked my collections at KOH, but I don't have enough of them to have opinions on this subject.
The collection that I designated as E. canescens had hair that did not dissolve in KOH. In E. strigosa, however, the hair immediately melted.
I wonder if this feature can be helpful in identification and will this reaction be confirmed when testing a larger number of collections?
Pictures of such collections I saw on Zotto disk and I wonder why I can't find information on this subject in literature.
A photo of the hair dissolved by KOH, I also posted on my website with this species (Photo 15-16):
http://www.grzyby-pk.pl/gat_e/gat_echinosphaeria_strigosa.php
Is this feature insignificant?
Is it found in all species of this genus or only in some? Or maybe such a reaction depends on other factors?
I would like to know the opinions of others on this topic?
Mirek
Ethan Crenson, 21-04-2020 16:48
Hello Mirek,

I checked my collection.  Yes the hairs dissolve in KOH. 

Ethan
  • message #62800
Mirek Gryc, 21-04-2020 17:39
Hello Ethan
Thank you for checking reaction on KOH.
My experience with these mushrooms is small but I think your determination is correct.
I was hoping that someone more familiar with this kind would say something about the reaction.
Regards
Mirek
Hans-Otto Baral, 21-04-2020 17:45
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Ethan and Mirek

I was thinking that this striking feature occurs in all species of the genus. But it seems I have no data on other species, and I do not really know E. canescens. In my Hilberinia folder I have a species with similar hairs, but did not test KOH.

In fact, Declercq's 2016 paper on Echinosphaeria does not mention KOH at all.

Zotto
Mirek Gryc, 21-04-2020 18:05
Hi Zotto
I also looked at Declercq's 2016 paper and that's why this feature made me wonder.
Andrew N. Miller maybe conducted such tests?
Mirek
Hans-Otto Baral, 21-04-2020 19:48
Hans-Otto Baral
In Andrew's papers that I have I cannot find KOH as test. But I have surely not all, for instance Miller et al. 2014, Phylogenetic relationships of five uncommon species of Lasiosphaeria and three new species in the Helminthosphaeriaceae (Sordariomycetes).

Hilber & Hilber 1983 mention KOH in L. (Hilberinia) meznaensis, but only as imbibing the perithecial content like a gel.
Mirek Gryc, 21-04-2020 21:00
Hi Zotto
Thank you, Zotto.
I thought about it because a few years ago, P. Perz mentioned such a reaction. In one of my collections, this reaction did not occur, which made me wonder.
Mirek
Viktorie Halasu, 21-04-2020 21:04
Viktorie Halasu
Hello all,

there are other microscopic features of Echinosphaeria I'm rather curious about, e.g. spore ornamentation. Bell & Mahoney (see below) mention finely punctate spores for their new E. incondita and E. leucolanosa, finely spinulose for E. strigosa and E. similistrigosa sp n, or longitudinally striate spores for E. striatispora sp n and E. stuppea.
Further they described new E. similistrigosa with intermediate spore size between canescens and strigosa (without knowing Declercq's species published in the same year). Perforated septum (E. medusa) or germ pores on overmature spores (E. minuta sp. n.) are other characters I never heard about in this genus.

Bell A., Mahoney D. (2016): Field studies in the Lasiosphaeriaceae and Helminthosphaeriaceae sensu lato. CBS Biodiversity Series 15. 124 p., Utrecht, CBS-KNAW Fungal Biodiversity Centre.

Viktorie

P.S. I only have a scanned copy of the book, the mentioned characters are well visible on drawings, not so much on microphotos. But that's probably due to low scanning resolution.