15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Nectria on algae/walls
Jannes Boers, 23-11-2021 20:52
Hello Everyone,

The passed year there have been some interesting collections of Nectriaceae species inhabiting algae on marl-like walls and marl rock faces (so far two different species). It seems there isn't any sufficient literature on the internet which mention this perticulair substrate for a species (atleast I can't find it :)). Hopefully there is someone here who knows more about these obscure species with this peculiar habitat. I will give some quick measurements on one of the species.

Perithecia attached to the substrate with an arachnoid subiculum and up to 225 um in diameter. Asci 8-spored, 60 - 72 x 12,5 - 15 um. Ascospores smooth, hyaline, guttulated, 1-septated, slightly constricted at the septa, 14 - 16 x 7 - 7,5 (-8) um.

This species grew at the base on the northside of an old church, on moist spots covered with algae and Tortula muralis. The fungus seems to be parasitic on the algae and not on the bryophyte.

I've added a link in my message which direct to the photographs:

Looking forward to your opinions.

Kind regards,

Jannes Boers
Franz Berger, 23-11-2021 23:00
Franz Berger
Re : Nectria on algae/walls
You might compare with the description of Pronectria algicola Von drei, Naumovich & Khodos. In Nova Hedwigia 95: 211-220 (2012)spures in Your description are somewhat thicker

P.a. is only known from the Type locality in Czech Rep..

Good luck!

Yours, Franz Berger
Jannes Boers, 23-11-2021 23:11
Thank you very much for your message Franz! It was one of the things that I did find information about :).

It is as you mentioned that the ascospores in this collection are a little bit broader compared to P.algicola. Also P.algicola hyphae and perithecia should be more immersed in the substrate/host.

At first, in the field,  I thought that it was Paranectria oropensis, which has the same superficial mycelium, but ascospores are clearly different. 

Kind regards,

Jannes Boers
Georges Greiff, 25-11-2021 13:56
Hi,

It seems that the collection may have Ilyonectria (Neonectria)-like conidia (normal and macroconidia) based on some of the photos in the link. I have found the anamorpha of an Ilyonectria-like species on various bryophytes for years but have gotten nowehere with the ID. To me, your collection looks similar and may represent one of these apparent generalist necrotrophic fungi but as you say, not much is known about them.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Neonectria-faginata-A-C-Perithecia-in-the-natural-environment-D-Median-section-of_fig5_275640112 - it looks rather similar to this, for example.

All the best,
George
  • message #70809
Jannes Boers, 25-11-2021 16:27
Hi George,

Thank you for your response! That is an interesting collection! Both of our specimens resemble some kind of Cylindrocarpon. But there are many species/genera which form these anamorphs and they all seem to look very similair. DNA is probably needed to be sure to determine if this is the same fungus.  

I've sent this specimen to Pedro Crous about two months ago, and it is currently growing in culture. So somewhere in the future we'll know more about its identity :). I can share the results here if you are interested?

Best wishes,

Jannes
Georges Greiff, 25-11-2021 16:29
That would be great, Jannes. I sent mine to Pedro as well, but unfortunately it failed in culture. I may try again - would be nice to get answers for these. Great find!