BonjourTrouvé dans un torrent de montagne au Chir

29-04-2024 21:51

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hi everyone, Found on attached branches of top pa

28-04-2024 18:05

Bernard CLESSE Bernard CLESSE

Bonsoir à toutes et tous,J'ai trouvé ce matin ce

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Mollisia sp. on dead stem / sur tige morte...
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 20-05-2014 17:57
Nicolas VAN VOOREN... d'une plante herbacée (peut-être une Poaceae).

Apothécies 0.4-1 mm diam. Marge nettement villeuse.
Poils marginaux clavés dans l'article sommital, distinctement incrustés, 28-46 × 7-10 µm (partie la plus large). Asques sans crochet, 62-70 × 6-7 µm, pars spor. 29-33 µm, anneau apical IKI+ (bb). Paraphyses × 3–4.5 µm. Ascospores 11.5-16 (17) × 1.8-2.5 µm, fusiformes étroites, souvent courbées, contenant plusieurs guttules.

Je n'arrive à rien de concluant en utilisant les clés de A. Gminder ou de Zotto.
Une idée ?

===
Apothecia 0.4-1 mm diam. Margin distinctly villose.
Marginal hairs clavate in the top article, distinctly incrusted, 28-46 × 7-10 µm (wider part). Asci without crozier, 62-70 × 6-7 µm, pars spor. 29-33 µm, apical ring IKI+ (bb). Paraphyses × 3–4.5 µm. Ascospores 11.5-16 (17) × 1.8-2.5 µm, narrow fusoid, often curved, containing several oil-drops.
  • message #29385
  • message #29385
Hans-Otto Baral, 20-05-2014 20:32
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Mollisia sp. on dead stem / sur tige morte...
Do you have also microphotos of the spores? Also of the ascus base? Absent croziers are rare in Mollisia, and I do not recall such a species.
Did you test KOH?
Zotto
Brian Douglas, 21-05-2014 07:19
Brian Douglas
Hi Nicholas and Zotto,

I've collected a similar-looking species from Aberystwyth, Wales, UK from Cortaderia (pampas grass), as part of my PhD thesis.

Based on the ITS DNA sequence my collection seems to be a close relative of what I consider to be Mollisia cf. poaeoides, which colonises turf-grass culms around Aberystwyth and possesses shorter ascospores with similar oil droplets. I suspect the ascospore size difference in the larger-spored species is associated with a host-jump to another larger grass species.

At the moment, it looks like there are many closely related species in this group that are endophytes of grass, orchid and other hosts (based on isolates and environmental sequences from plants). None of these have been collected and sequenced yet, so it is possible that there are other species on similar hosts with similar morphology.

Checking through my images I also can't see any distinct croziers, but I wasn't specifically looking for them when taking the images, and also wouldn't consider this a diagnostic feature at the moment. I didn't observe any KOH reaction.

I've attached a slide of some of my images so you can compare with your collection.

Cheers,

Brian

Hans-Otto Baral, 21-05-2014 09:08
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Brian

Be sure that the absence of croziers is an extremely important character, certainly constant within a species of Mollisia or Pyrenopeziza. 
In Mollisia I recall M. rosae and M. asteroma as having always simple septate asci. M. prunicola and M. excelsior might be confused with their respective counterparts, but alsways have croziers.

On your photo I cannot see well an ascus base.

Nicolas, did you look for crystals? I have the suspicion that you fungus could be M. retincola, though I have noted a larger spore size in my files.

Zotto
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 21-05-2014 10:13
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Thanks Zotto and Brian.

I made a new mount to check some points:
1) KOH-reaction: faintly yellow
2) No crystal seen
3) Crozier present. I didn't see them first time because they seem to be placed very low in the ascogenous hyphae.
  • message #29404
  • message #29404
  • message #29404
Hans-Otto Baral, 21-05-2014 10:27
Hans-Otto Baral
o.k., this opens a new window :-)

I now compare yours with M. luctuosa = humidicola. That species has 1-septate spores insider the living asci, however, though I am not sure about this in every of the specimens I have in my folder. The macroscopy is very similar at least.

Zotto
Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 21-05-2014 10:38
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
Now I can see some spores with a central septum (more easy to see in Congo red mount), so your idea seems good!
Hans-Otto Baral, 21-05-2014 10:44
Hans-Otto Baral
You don't have the material fresh anymore? The septa are not easily seen but when the oil drops accumulate in the spore centre and at the ends, leaving a free space between, then there must be a septum.

I suggest alternatively to make a Melzer mount in which septa are often rather striking. If you find enough asci with septate spores inside this would be a further confirmation for luctuosa.

Nicolas VAN VOOREN, 21-05-2014 11:05
Nicolas VAN VOOREN
OK, I confirm, in Melzer mount, a space is clearly visible on the central part of ascospores in asci
Good tip :-)
Brian Douglas, 21-05-2014 12:14
Brian Douglas
Looking at the phylogeny that Andreas Gminder posted a while back (http://www.ascofrance.com/uploads/forum_file/Mollisia73-ITS-0003.pdf) - his collections of Mollisia humidicola come out roughly where I would expect my species to be (assuming our Mollisia olivacens species are the same).  These species have fairly short ITS sequences lacking any highly variable regions - so while they are suitable for identification, they're not very good for phylogenetic reconstruction.  But he seems to have a number of different species under this identity!

Zotto - I've emailed you regarding my issues with the taxonomic value of croziers (at least in Mollisia and Pyrenopeziza).  Hopefully I'm just being stupid and you can correct me!

Cheers, 

Brian