Hi everyone, Found on attached branches of top pa

28-04-2024 18:05

Bernard CLESSE Bernard CLESSE

Bonsoir à toutes et tous,J'ai trouvé ce matin ce

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
pink Sarcoscypha coccinea
Carlo Agnello, 09-02-2015 16:47
Carlo AgnelloDear Friends
I want to show a nice discovery of pink Sarcoscypha coccinea last 1th February on Q. ilex twig, max diameter 3,7 cm. I know orange, orange-yellow, yellow, white coccinea... Someone has already seen the species in this habitus ?
Thank you
  • message #33691
  • message #33691
  • message #33691
Miguel Ángel Ribes, 09-02-2015 16:54
Miguel Ãngel Ribes
Re : pink Sarcoscypha coccinea
Nice Sarcoscypha.

I only know Sarcoscypha jurana white.

Good luck.
Hans-Otto Baral, 09-02-2015 16:57
Hans-Otto Baral
I know only these white ones of S. coccinea:
NL, Flevoland, Eastern part, Reve Abbert, 20.III.05, Fraxinus, in draining ditch.
  • message #33693
Till Lohmeyer, 09-02-2015 20:08
Hi, Carlo, 

in the famous Japanese photo-book by R. Imazeki, Y. Otani and T. Hongo, you'll find on p. 555 a picture of a pale pink Sarcoscypha vassiljevae Raitv. which is strikingly similiar to your photograph. I have an article by Raitviir (Eesti NSV teaduste akad. Toimetised, 14,1965: 539-535) describing the species, but it's in Russian, so I can't even find out the colour of the hymenium. In Zotto's master thesis, however, the taxon is mentioned as "pure white" .

According to the Raitviir article, the spores of vassilijevae - 21-26(-29) x 10-13um - are remarkably smaller than those of his S. coccinea (at that time including, probably, austriaca and/or jurana) with 30-40 x 12-15um. Furthermore, the vassiljevae-spore contains one large central oil drop. 

The type of S. vassilijevae comes from Wladiwostok ... a long way from your collection site, I'd guess... 

Best regards
Till

Hans-Otto Baral, 09-02-2015 21:58
Hans-Otto Baral
Hallo Till

In my "master thesis" I made a chromatogramm of the red pigment, showing that it consists of a number (three?) of differently coloured substances. I assume that a genetic defect provokes one or two of these being not formed, or even none at all.

In austriaca and jurana I know more of these aberrant collections, partly in mixture with the red ones. But such rose colour I cannot recall.

Yes, vassiljevae i remember white, and I think I translated the Russian text at that time.

Carlo, if you have a microphoto with scale or spore size we could see that your identification is right. On Qu. ilex I only expect S. coccinea with such size.

Zotto
Martin Bemmann, 09-02-2015 22:47
Martin Bemmann
hello all,

just for curiosity, here is a collection from Japan (presumably by Kiyoshi Iguchi) called S. vassiljevae: http://simocybe.sakura.ne.jp/yosooi-chawan-take.htm
Here some informations I learned with Google translator:  apothecia are 3-6cm in dm, "pale yellowish white to pale cream to the entire but, often faintly beautifully tinged with pink", asci 273.8-336.4 × 12.6-13.9 µm, IKI-, spores "surface in oval smooth, colorless in thin wall to moderately thick-walled, and does not react to Meltzer solution, contains 1-2 pieces of oil droplets inside, size 17.1-26.0 × 10.-13.4 µm".
Found on Hokaido and Honshu on partly buried dead branches of Taxus baccata.

Regards
Martin
Hans-Otto Baral, 09-02-2015 23:06
Hans-Otto Baral
That's good Martin. I think the spore size of vassiljevae is actually more like in S. macaronesica. About the oil content I would not give much because it was certainly described from dead  material. All Sarcoscyphas have many small nuclei in the spore centre at maturity. So a single large oil drop is impossible in the living state but rather a product of confluence, perhaps in submature spores, where the oil drops have not yet been separated towards the poles.
Carlo Agnello, 10-02-2015 18:59
Carlo Agnello
Hi and thanks to all !
Yes Zotto, spores seems typical to S. coccinea... (25,5-33,8 x 9,8-12,4)
Pink sample grew close many typical S. coccinea samples.
The "genetic defect" concerns already mycelium (?) because the discolored specimens do not never come on the same branches of the typical specimens: they are always isolated.
Clearly the pink specimen must have a low concentration of total carotenoids...Do you think that the higher carotenoid fraction could be the third fraction in your work ? 2' dehydro-plectaniaxanthine-1'ester ?

I show you last days collections sent me by a Greek friend with red, orange and white-cream maybe similar to Berthet collection in Arpin ... I add also a complete white 2014 collection (mine).
Best 

• message #33732
  • message #33732
  • message #33732
Hans-Otto Baral, 10-02-2015 20:15
Hans-Otto Baral
it seems actually that the different colour variants occur on different branches. But in this example here (phot. P. Thompson) it is clearly the same mycelium.

I did not remember about the chemistry, only that differently coloured carotenoids are involved.
It is too long ago, and I simply compared with the literature. But you may be right with this fraction II. Regrettably I did not photograph the chromatography.
Hans-Otto Baral, 10-02-2015 20:15
Hans-Otto Baral
it seems actually that the different colour variants occur on different branches. But in this example here (phot. P. Thompson) it is clearly the same mycelium.

I did not remember about the chemistry, only that differently coloured carotenoids are involved.
It is too long ago, and I simply compared with the literature. But you may be right with this fraction II. Regrettably I did not photograph the chromatography.
  • message #33734