Bonjour et bonne journée, On m'a envoyé une tro

25-03-2024 03:56

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Scuttelinia: Macro and habitat.• S. scutella

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Separate Rutstremia henningsiana / paludosa
Marek Brom, 11-05-2019 13:49
Marek Brom

I have long been interested about fungi of peat bogs and wetlands in the central part of the Czech Republic. I often find the taxon Rutstremia henningsiana / paludosa in the tall-sedge beds. In the Mycobank and IndexFungorum databases are still distinguished as two species. I have read carefully the debates on the web sites Ascofrance about the taxonomy of this complex in the past. They showed that it is only one species and Rutstremia henningsiana is an older and invalid name. Has anything changed since then?

Thank you for answer

Hans-Otto Baral, 11-05-2019 15:53
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Separate Rutstremia henningsiana / paludosa
Hi Marek

you are right, and it was me to suggest that henningsiana is an older name for paludosa. But this is mainly based on the substrate Cyperaceae, while the crucial character, the absence of croziers, was probably never tested in the type materials. With a narrow generic concept one may use Clarireedia for this species, with C. bennettii representing a later synonym of R. calopus. The authors who introduced the new genus overlooked this synonymy.
Zotto
Martin Bemmann, 11-05-2019 16:25
Martin Bemmann
There are sequences in Genbank. If you BLAST the R. henningsiana (GB U21820.1) there is 99,50 % identity with R. paludosa and R. calopus.

Regards

Martin
Hans-Otto Baral, 11-05-2019 17:02
Hans-Otto Baral
Indeed, and although this is only ITS1, the result shows that it falls to R. paludosa, but two other sequences under that name (KC533543 and Z81442) are intermediate to calopus, while concurring with R. calopus KF588373.

In attach you see a comprehensive tree of the group (henningsiana highlighted in yellow).
Marek Brom, 11-05-2019 19:06
Marek Brom
Thank you for your response,

I can therefore understand that Rutstroemia paludosa / henningsiana and R. calopus are one and the same species which has been combined into one by studying DNA. Authors based on type items? And now a new genus has been established by Saldago et alia where Clarireedia bennetii represents these three species?

Hans-Otto Baral, 11-05-2019 20:54
Hans-Otto Baral
Saldago et al. overlooked that paludosa and calopus are in GenBank. And yes, they considered samples as one species which are probably two: R. calopus and R. paludosa differ by croziers (H+/H-), and this was so far correlated with the two clades and the two substate families.
Marek Brom, 12-05-2019 16:44
Marek Brom
I can see that taxonomy is still unclear, will most likely change and the article of Salvago et alia doesn? change anything. In my opinion (as you have helped me to clarify it) there is a clear morphological and ecological (and molecular?-two clade) difference between Rutstroemia paludosa-synonym R. henningsiana (crozier – / familia Cyperaceae) and R. calopus (croziers + / familia Poaceae). So far I have found R. paludosa (I will use this name in my own publication), which appears to be a characteristic and relatively abundant species of the tall-sedge beds in well-preserved localities in the central Czech Republic. Unfortunately, I haven't found R. calopus yet ...

Many thanks for the info and explanation of the current situation

Best regards

Hans-Otto Baral, 12-05-2019 20:23
Hans-Otto Baral
If you got your samples on Cyperaceae/Juncaceae it is very likely R. paludosa. But check the croziers to be more sure. Other clear differences I did not find. There is also a maritima, perhaps more in the mediterranean.  And you see from the tree that more clades exist, including those species described by Saldago et al.

I remember that several species are parasites of grasses, e.g. on golf places, so of economic importance. But that paper, so helpful it is from a molecular point of view, did not give the final nomenclature, if such will ever be achieved, and no information on croziers.