15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Iodophanus look-alike, but probably inoperculate
Edvin Johannesen, 03-07-2019 14:56
Edvin Johannesen
These tiny (0,5-1 mm) whitish to slightly pinkish apothecia were first thought to be an immature Iodophanus (aff. difformis), but after a thorough study in company with Prof. Trond Schumacher, it is concluded that it is most likely inoperculate, and possibly even partly with mature spores. It is believed to be bryophilous, since moss fragments have been observed attached to the apothecia. The spores are initially (in what is believed to be immature spores) multiguttulate (in water). Spores turn from more or less spherical to asymmetrically ellipsoid during maturation, then becoming slightly pointed at one end, and with one large guttule and a few smaller ones (in cotton blue). Spores seem to have one area void of guttules, thus being stained by CB. The possibly mature spores measure 17-19 x 10-13 um. Asci approx. 150 um long with a thickened apex. There is possibly a weak amyoid reaction (Meltzer) in the ascus wall, but no staining observed in the ascus tip. Paraphyse are slender and not expanded at the apex, thus "inoperculate"-like. Some clavate cells observed, staining violet in CB, but may be young asci. Some spores are seen to germinate at one or both ends. Some spores appear to be aborted within the asci.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
  • message #58388
Lothar Krieglsteiner, 03-07-2019 15:17
Lothar Krieglsteiner
Re : Iodophanus look-alike, but probably inoperculate

Hello Edvin,

perhaps something around Mniaecia nivea (and gloeocapsae) - the liverworts on the foto are characteristic.

I once found a collection in Norway, too :-) - it had larger spores.

I think the group is very insufficiently known.

Best regards, Lothar

Edvin Johannesen, 03-07-2019 15:32
Edvin Johannesen
That was quick, Lothar - and what a great suggestion! You must obviously be on the right track. I assume it is your 2015 collection from Dovrefjell you are referring to:

Actually this one was also collected in the Dovrefjell area, a bit further south (Grimsdalen), in the subalpine region.

We have taken a sample for DNA sequencing (Schumacher will take care of that). Perhaps Zotto has an opinion?

Thank you so much. I wish I had the necessary literature in order to arrive at the right species, if possible. Can you help?

Best regards,

Edvin
Hans-Otto Baral, 03-07-2019 17:08
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Edvin & Lothar

do you have more photos in water? In CB I would not describe the oil drops, you get artifacts there. One large drop is surely due to coalescence provoked by lactophenol.

A weakly amyloid reaction is possible, do you have Lugol as well? I remember Trizodia has such reaction and something related to it, whereas Mniaecia is inamyloid.

Maturity you can only estimate in water, then you see which asci are alive and mature.

Zotto
Edvin Johannesen, 04-07-2019 10:40
Edvin Johannesen
Hi Zotto (and Lothar)!

I am adding the remaining photos I have in water, not sure it helps much, but some definitely show immature spores/asci. Sorry about the phase contrast at 1000x oil, I just use it sometimes to be able to see hyaline hyphae.

I do have Lugol and Barals Lösung. I decided to dry the material yesteday, after keeping it alive for two weeks, in and out of the fridge, hoping that it would mature (which it apparently didn't). I believe I did already try Lugol, without seeing any reaction. Schumacher claimed to see a weak wall reaction with Meltzer (but I was not convinced :-)

Eddi
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
  • message #58398
Hans-Otto Baral, 04-07-2019 11:31
Hans-Otto Baral
Good, so you see that the living spores are multiguttulate, without large LBs. They look mature in my opinion, only the asci are dead. 

Apparently the species has inamyloid asci, when you did not get a reaction.

For Mniaecia nivea and M. gloeocapsa I see only LSU in GenBank, no ITS. Also Trizodia includes LSU, so when trying a sequence, LSU would be important.
Edvin Johannesen, 04-07-2019 12:05
Edvin Johannesen
I have now re-wetted and sacrificed one more (immature) apothecium and mounted in Lugol. I am uncertain whether there is a weak reaction or not in the ascus wall (three first images). What do you think? The three last images are in water, showing immature spores.
  • message #58400
  • message #58400
  • message #58400
  • message #58400
  • message #58400
  • message #58400
Edvin Johannesen, 04-07-2019 12:05
Edvin Johannesen
And thanks for the tip on LSU!
Lothar Krieglsteiner, 04-07-2019 12:44
Lothar Krieglsteiner

Hi Edvin,

for me this looks negative :-)

Best regards, Lothar

Edvin Johannesen, 04-07-2019 14:06
Edvin Johannesen
Zotto,

It is strange that you find only LSU for Mniaecia in Genbank, since sequences for all three regions (ITS/LSU/SSU) are cited in this paper from 2018 (Fig. 2):

and in this 2019 paper (supplementaryTable 1):

I don't have an explanation for this.

Interestingly, Trizodia branches out as a separate lineage in the first paper.

Regards,

Edvin