Stephen Mifsud Stephen Mifsud

I have found an interesting Xylaria growing on fal

11-09-2024 21:21

Martin Bemmann Martin Bemmann

Does someone have: Sharma, M.P., 1986. Indian Hya

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Possibly an undescribed species of Xylaria on olive fruits
Stephen Mifsud, 04-09-2024 21:02
Stephen MifsudI have found an interesting Xylaria growing on fallen drupes of olives which were still immature for a proper morphological examination, however I did sequence it with ITS and LSU and the Lab had suggested that it is closely related to X. palmicola GU322436 and Xylaria sp. ON248209 further adding that it may likely be an undescribed species.

I am writing to see if anyone is interested to examine my specimens and sequences for a possible article (I would be happy to step as a co-author).  The bad news is that I have to recollect more specimens as I only have three left. 

Anyone interested feel free to contact me
  • message #80102
  • message #80102
Stephen Mifsud, 05-09-2024 15:03
Stephen Mifsud
Re : Possibly an undescribed species of Xylaria on olive fruits
Apologies for repeated posting, there was something not working well with the forum. I have deleted the repeated posts. My email is info @ maltawildplants.com.
Stephen Mifsud, 07-09-2024 16:21
Stephen Mifsud
I did a bit of research and had the pleaseure to discuss this with Martin and I am convinced that this is the same Xyaria being reported on fallen and decaying fallen fruit on Olea europaea which many authers are ascribing to Xylaria putaminum.

I have considered this taxon but about 2 yrs ago I was told that this taxon is invalid. Now, with 2-3 recent publications accepting this species , I am not sure why/if it is really invalid. If  X. putaminum/putamina is really invalid, then we are truly with an 'undescribed species'

Recent literature referring to X. putaminum:

Sanches Iglesias (2016) - XYLARIA PUTAMINUM (ASCOMYCOTA, XYLARIACEAE) EN
SEVILLA, SUROESTE DE LA PENÍNSULA IBÉRICA.

La Rosa et al. (2022) - XYLARIA PUTAMINUM (XYLARIACEAE, ASCOMYCOTA), A RARE MEDITERRANEAN SPECIES: FIRST RECORD IN ITALY

Friebes et al. (2024) - Xylaria rohrensis, a new species inhabiting nutshells of
Juglans regia in Austria (see discusion on X. putaminum from a sample on olive fruit vouchered by Fournier from Spain)

Interesting is the similarity with X. palmicola in all papers (op. cit.)

Your opinions are welcome while I am provisionally ascribing my two collections  from Malta as X. putminum

FASTA files available to who wish to analyse the molecular result (ITS and LSU).

Martin Bemmann, 08-09-2024 13:21
Martin Bemmann
In the discussion with Stephen I put my finger on the fact that the name X. putaminum is is invalid if one takes the paper of Bertault of 1984 as the first description. A Latin diagnosis was mandatory between 1935 and 2011.

But Bertault treated it not as a new species as he did with others in his paper. Maire's collection housed in MPU is from 1920:

If the label of the voucher would bear a description, the name could be valid.

Does someone has seen the voucher? Gernot?

Best regards

Martin
  • message #80121
Viktorie Halasu, 09-09-2024 10:37
Viktorie Halasu
Hello, some more puzzle pieces: 

Maire & Duvernoy presented this Xylaria as a new species on the society's session 6.3.1920, noting the difficulty of finding mature spores despite numerous collections made so far. https://bibdigital.rjb.csic.es/viewer/11119/?offset=#page=38&viewer=picture&o=ocr&n=0&q=olea

The schedae (and notes?) are online on JSTOR, but I don't have the access there: 
Maire's 1920 coll.: https://plants.jstor.org/stable/10.5555/al.ap.specimen.mpuc04535
Bertault's 1961 coll.: https://plants.jstor.org/stable/10.5555/al.ap.specimen.mpub02733

I wonder why "Maire & Durieu". Durieu passed away the same year Maire was born (1878). A later algerian coll. by Maire is labelled only "X. putaminum Maire" : https://www.mycoportal.org/portal/collections/individual/index.php?occid=4846466&clid=0

Best regards,
Viktorie
Martin Bemmann, 09-09-2024 12:38
Martin Bemmann
Dear Victorie,

well done! Duvernoy and Maire were partners, collecting and publishing together in Algeria:

Maybe Durieu is misread/misspelled for Duvernoy from a handwritten document?

Regards

Martin
Stephen Mifsud, 12-09-2024 07:09
Stephen Mifsud
Dear all,
Thanks for you contributions. Seeing that it boils down to these old collections stored on Jstor, I will try to get access to them in the coming days. I have an account with them but still they dont allow me to download the sheets so I had just contacted them.

Will keep you posted
S.