Dirk Gerstner

Mollisia on Typha_angustifolia I found the follow

01-08-2024 08:12

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good morningThis Pyreno grew on dead wood with bar

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Possible Hymenoscyphus fructigenus
B Shelbourne, 27-08-2024 19:03
B ShelbourneI found some Hymenoscyphus-like apothecia on cupules and acorns of Quercus robur, spores seem to fit with Hymenoscyphus fructigenus too.

Habitat: Found yesterday (late August) after some rain, on acorns and cupules of Quercus robur, in damp and shady areas under a dead hedge fence (stacked dead wood), generally quite a damp muddy area, in mixed deciduous woodland with lots of Quercus and Corylus, ~25m elevation, Lower Weald, England.

Apothecia: Several with 0.5-1.5 mm diameter and some larger ones observed, < 10 mm stipe length depending on evironment, initially whitish and more translucent, yellowing with age (especially noticeable on disc), singular to caespitose, superficial, cyathiform and eventually discoid, margin more whitish and often undulating when mature, appearing to display geotropic growth and growing out of holes in the acorns.

IKI: Rings bb, hymenoscyphus-type, VBs with strongly dextrinoid reaction.

Spores: Elongated lacrymoid in face view, base acute and apex hemispherical, constricted at the middle and scutuloid in profile view, many small to medium VBs and some tiny LBs, appearing aseptate and uninucleate.

Free spores measured in water: 17.3-20.6 (21) x 4.4-4.7 um, Q = (3.7) 4-4.6 (4.7), n = 14, mean 19.3 x 4.5 um, Q mean = 4.2.

Asci: Cylindrical-clavate, apex appears acute-truncate, 8-spored, poroid, simple septa (furcations not clearly observed).

Paraphyses: Narrow cylindrical, with many small VBs, especially towards apex, apparently several at least 2-septate, most branching close to the base.

Ectal ex: Looks like textura prismatica (typica?), some narrower external hyphae with VBs.

Medullary ex: Looks like textura intricata.
  • message #80072
  • message #80072
  • message #80072
  • message #80072
  • message #80072
Hans-Otto Baral, 27-08-2024 21:27
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Possible Hymenoscyphus fructigenus
Yes of course, typical H. fructigenus. Exciple has a typical prismatica.
B Shelbourne, 28-08-2024 11:35
B Shelbourne
Thank you for looking and confirming the structure of the ectal excipulum.

Do you recognise any subgroups or varieties?

On IF, 'var. carpini' was elevated to species level by Gminder (2016). I guess on acorns in Western Europe with typical morphology would suggest this collection is 'var. fructigenus'.

Hans-Otto Baral, 28-08-2024 12:00
Hans-Otto Baral
This is unclarified. Once I thought that every host genus has its own species but data are so far lacking and morphology is very similar. H. carpini has smaller spores, though.
B Shelbourne, 28-08-2024 15:12
B Shelbourne
Thank you. It seems not much has changed since your comments in the 1996 H. seminis-alni paper. Here you also reference collections on nuts of several genera and species.

I have seen similar apothecia on acorns before but not on hazelnuts. I can look more though as there are many around in the same wood and even close to where I found these acorns. It also seems interesting that they grow on the cupules as well as what seems to be the pericarp.

I can't find any discussion of an anamorph of H. fructigenus. Although I did find this interesting paper looking at mating genes in genomes of Leotiomycetes. I haven't read it properly yet, but they suggest many H. spp., including H. fructigenus, are homothallic. Presumably outcrossing between individuals on different nuts, if possible, would then be rarer anyway.

Wilson AM, Coetzee MPA, Wingfield MJ, Wingfield BD. Needles in fungal haystacks: Discovery of a putative a-factor pheromone and a unique mating strategy in the Leotiomycetes. PLoS One. 2023 Oct 12;18(10):e0292619.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10569646/